Download Flashcards with Plural Nouns here
Save the PDF file and find here the examples of plural nouns formation.
Here are the rules:
1. Add -s to regular plurals. Adding an s is all you need to form a regular plural: bag – bags.
2. Add -es to words ending in -ch, -s, -sh, -x, -z: box – boxes.
3. If the noun ends with ‑f or ‑fe, the f is often changed to ‑ve before adding the -s to form the plural version: wolf – wolves.
Some nouns don’t changes -f into -ve: roof – roofs.
4. Change -y to -ies or -s: lady – ladies. But: boy – boys.
5. Add -es to words ending in -o: tomato – tomatoes. For foreign words this doesn’t work: photo – photos.
6. Remember irregular plurals:
woman – women,
man – men,
child – children,
person – people,
tooth – teeth,
foot – feet,
mouse – mice,
ox – oxen.
7. There’s no change between plural and singular:
sheep – sheep,
aircraft – aircraft,
fish – fish (fishes is used when talking about different types of fish).
8. These nouns have only singular form: money, hair, love, etc.
These nouns have only plural form: scissors, trousers, shorts, etc.
Use this flashcard set to memorize and practice the above rules.
2 thoughts on “40 Flashcards of Plurals of Nouns”
Thank you so much. But next time would you kindly put all the words in lower case?
If a child prints Luggage on a spelling test it would be wrong, because of the capital L.
After 42 years I have learned a lot in education.
thanks for the observation. will do